Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ratatouille, Party Style!

Where have I been? I went to my sister's wedding out of town! She's a fabulous cook. While I was there she made ratatouille, which I love. Whaddaya know, it's SCD-legal!!! She left out the eggplant and added plenty of melted cheese on top, serving it as a side-dish to a roast she made. It was delicious that way, but I didn't catch her recipe, so I'll post instead one of my favorites that uses the crock pot instead of the oven to prevent heating the house up too much now that the weather is so warm.

This is adapted from Mabel Hoffman's Crockery Cookery, a really great cookbook and one of my favorites.

1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 plum tomatoes or a handful of sundried tomatoes, soaked in water until soft enough to chop (reserve the water to use as cooking fluid in recipe)
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Put all the ingredients except the basil and cilantro in the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the basil and garnish with the cilantro. If you wish, top with grated parmesan cheese.

The recipe says to serve with sourdough bread or pita to dip in this, but my husband just eats it out of a bowl anyway! Still, it's great to bring to a party or pot-luck where you'll be mixing with non-SCD people.

No comments:

Post a Comment