Friday, May 27, 2011

Awesome Gadget, the Food Mill!

My sister-in-law told me about the food mill. She uses hers to help make homemade applesauce. It has straining plates to catch the seeds and skins so all that gets through is the pulp. That allows you to cook roughly chopped apples to make sauce, without all the peeling and coring that usually goes along with the job.

I looked for one to buy (we eat a lot of homemade applesauce) but they were surprisingly expensive! I finally found the Oxo Good Grips Food Mill, for around $40 at Kitchen Kapers. I love it! You can also buy it from Amazon.com or even Zappos.com.

I've found another great use for mine - I cook down plum tomatoes I get at Produce Junction for $2 a bag to make my own tomato sauce for cooking. It gets out the seeds and skins and leaves me with chunky tomato sauce. If you want it smoother you can puree it in a blender/food processor. I like it chunky.

I make tomato sauce once a week or so and freeze it until needed in 2-cup containers.

To make it into marinara sauce is easy - add 1/4 tsp of basil, 1/2 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp of pepper. This is great on broiled or grilled zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment