Sunday, May 29, 2011

Spiced Prune and Walnut Nuggets

I have hated prunes ever since my mom used to try to force me to eat them when I was 5. She used canned prunes and my sister, helpfully, told me they were rotting eyeballs. UGH!

But sometimes you may want the effects of prunes in your diet. 'Nuf said.

I got some dried prunes but still thought the flavor was a little insipid, and the texture, well, slimy. I managed to get just one down.

But I actually like this recipe, for LaraBar style prune nuggets.

Ingredients:
3/4 cups walnuts, shelled and chopped
3/4 cups pitted prunes, chopped
1/4 cup raisins, chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ginger
(optional, some organic orange zest, minced)

Once the prunes, walnuts, and raisins are chopped put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix. Put handfuls at a time into a food processor and pulse, shaking frequently, until the mixture blobs together. Continue until all of it has been pulsed and is holding together.

Flatten it some and wrap it loosely in plastic wrap, parchment paper, or waxed paper and press it out to a square/rectangle about 3/4" thick. Put it in the refrigerator for an hour.

After an hour (or longer) cut it into squares. These can be kept refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for several months to be used as needed. They are great snacks for fast energy, and travel pretty well. I'm finding they kind of satisfy my chocolate cravings, even tho they don't taste much like chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment