Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First 3 days

I wanted to start this journal two days ago, but didn't find the time. I heard about the Specific Carb. Diet (SCD) via Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride's work, which is based on the SCD. I found out about that through my involvement with the Lyme community, specifically the LymeStrategies group (GREAT group!) which helped me recover from lyme disease and get my health back (mostly). In the years following my chronic lyme experience I've been trying alternative methods to mop up the residual problems. I think my main problem is Gluten Sensitivity, which I've been trying to deny for far too long but lately my hormones have gone out of whack and my knees and back are always hurting so I'm finally willing to address it.

Mostly I just want to keep track of good recipes I've used. Anything in brown is a link (usually to a recipe).

So here goes.

Broiled Zucchini
On Monday I did have bread and coffee in the morning. My diet started in the afternoon. I made spaghetti for the kids for dinner and for myself I sliced zucchini thinly (about 1/4 inch or less) then sprinkled them with salt, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and olive oil then broiled them until the cheese started to brown. When I took them out I added a spoonful of the tomato sauce (tomatoes cooked down and strained then simmered with garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper) and more parmesan cheese. I always like the spaghetti sauce the best anyway so I was satisfied and didn't feel like I was missing out. It was actually very good and I ate 2 small zucchinis that way :)

Chipolte Eggs Scramble
The next day my breakfast was the same recipe I'd had the day before for lunch - I mixed 2 eggs with some Pepper Jack cheese and cooked them then topped with chipolte sauce (pureed) and some cooked black beans left over from the the weekend. Very satisfying!

Lunch was apples and peanut butter (a picnic).

For dinner I made mashed potatoes for the family, I had steamed broccoli with some garlic powder, salt, and butter on it, and Pork Tenderloin, along with a salad of lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, and garlic aioli honey-mustard dressing. For that I made the aioli, but it was too olive oil/garlic tasting so I stirred in some honey and some mustard. It was good but still too much garlic and next time I'll use at least half the light olive oil, extra virgin is just too strong for me.

Today I had a smoothie for breakfast (mixed frozen berries, orange juice, and coconut oil) and Baba Ghanouj for lunch on celery sticks. The Baba Ghanouj is terrific on celery! YUM!

Tonight in honor of Cinco de Mayo tomorrow will be refried black beans, chipolte sauce, guacamole (IF I can find a ripe avocado!), and salad, with tomatoes and chipolte aioli as dressing (just stir some adobo into the aioli - easy!). I'm sure the Pepper Jack cheese will find its way into the salad and onto the beans but that will be individual since the kids don't always like spicy foods. The family can have rice, too. My recipe for the refried beans is: cook the beans until tender in just water. Then in a large frying pan brown an onion with some garlic and peppers if you have them in around 3 tbsp of lard (this is an authentic recipe, folks!). Once the onions are browned add the beans with some of the cooking liquid (reserve the rest). Start mashing the beans with a potato masher and add liquid whenever it seems too dry until all the beans are mashed. I usually add around a rounded tsp of salt at this point and shake in some pepper. You can also add garlic powder (if you didn't use garlic), chili powder, cayenne or chipolte pepper, and cumin if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment