Thursday, May 5, 2011

SCD cookies!

I tried making legal cookies yesterday after a trip to the store led to me almost fainting. I don't feel hungry (tho I'm craving warm creamy drinks) but I guess my blood sugar got low, the things I'm eating, like baba ghanoush are really low calorie - something that didn't occur to me until I got really light-headed. I did cheat yesterday - I hate fainting in front of people and waking up on the floor surrounded by worried faces. So I got two small Mr. Goodbar candies from the bulk section. Looking back I probably could have gotten one of those orange juice singles instead and stayed legal. I decided I need to watch calories and make sure I'm getting enough.

I read about flour alternatives and folks seemed to agree that almond flour is the best - in terms of price and ease of use, plus it's healthy and nutritious. So I got almost a pound of blanched almonds at the store and a big jar of honey. I read you can make your own almond flour in a food processor or blender, so I tried it to make the cookies in this recipe. You have to scroll down some to get to the almond cookie recipe.

I used 2/3 cup of honey instead of the maple sugar flakes. I knew it would be trouble to substitute honey for maple flakes, but I wanted to see if I could make it work.

The first batch were really runny and I had to cook them for 15 min. to get them to finally set up somewhat, but even then they went flat once they cooled and had a bad texture. I tried adding more almond flour. They worked better, almost cookie-looking but still too soft.

That's when I realized you have to sift your almond flour, because there are lots of chunks of nuts that didn't get ground up still mixed in, which don't act like flour but do take up space. So the next time I sifted some and really only about 1/3 of it was ground finely like flour. There were a lot of nut pieces hiding in there. No wonder the first batch failed so badly!

They DID taste really good, tho. Especially the browned outer edges, so I disagree with the author, you DO want them to brown, just a little bit. The honey was so rich, tho, that even after diluting the recipe with a lot more almond flour, I could only eat a couple and didn't want any more the rest of the night. Maybe I can carry one or two around in case of a low blood sugar emergency!

I never made the beans for dinner because the kids talked their dad into taking them out for pizza (it didn't take much effort!) so we didn't need a cooked meal. Since the chicken is thawed, I'll still make the meal for tonight I was going to - roasted chicken with baked butternut squash and for the rest of the family roasted potatoes. I'm cooking the beans anyway for my lunch today, my daughter may eat some also. My husband brought home two large hoagies from a Men's Dinner Tuesday night and is working his way through them, alone, because I was the only other one who ate hoagies.

No comments:

Post a Comment