Monday, May 9, 2011

Feeling Good!

Yesterday, after my wonderful sausage breakfast, we went to Longwood Gardens for Mother's Day. So I had a 2 mile walk in the morning then spent the next 3 or 4 hours on my feet at the garden, and I felt pretty good! When we got home I did some housework and then mulching and weeding outdoors. I think the carb crash phase of this diet is over (and none too soon!)

We had lunch at Longwood. I had a fruit salad and some of their mushroom soup, but I don't think that was legal because it had a creamy broth that likely had milk or cream in it, but I was hoping it was just cheese. LOL! I felt guilty after a few bites and let my husband have the rest, and he was happy to oblige.

My wonderful husband cooked dinner, grilled steaks with "Outback's Steak Seasoning", and steamed asparagus from our garden. He made Uncle Ben's rice for himself and the kids, but he wound up being the only one who ate any of it (are the kids taking cues from me?).

If you have space for asparagus, run out and buy some plants and grow it! You just cannot match the flavor of just-picked homegrown asparagus! My asparagus bed is around 9 years old now so we can pick it until the peas come in! My kids fight over who got more and try to sneak and eat it all before the other knows it's ready if I'm not watchful.

A side note - Chris Masterjohn has written a piece on the role of cholesterol when the body is converting sunlight to vitamin D - basically cholesterol is a precursor of vitamin D and without cholesterol the body cannot make vitamin D. I have a theory based on this that the body will inhibit tanning when vitamin D is low to increase the amount of sunlight/vitamin D. It kind of piggybacks on Chris's theory that the body will increase blood cholesterol levels where vitamin D is deficient to try to maximize the potential for synthesizing it when you are in the sun.

I noticed back when we switched to raw milk I didn't burn as easily as I had for my entire life up until then. Suddenly I could do crazy things like go to the beach with no sunscreen.

Raw milk is a great source of natural vitamin D, so is cod liver oil and truly pastured eggs (from hens that can eat grass - a lot of "pastured eggs" from the grocery store are from hens that can go outdoors into a dirt or cement lot if they choose to - mostly they stay indoors in the shade!). Milk is a no-no, but the eggs and cod liver oil are SCD legal.

Well, this early in the year I have almost no tan to speak of, but I was outdoors all day and didn't get a sunburn. Cool beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment