Monday, May 16, 2011

Best smoothie ever!

I've been worrying about my morning smoothies being too sweet for my goals of reducing my insulin resistance. Schwartzbein said you must balance sugars with protein and fat. Milk has a fair amount of protein but only 3% fat. But CREAM has a lot of fat! I tried an experiment, making my SCD yogurt with half milk and half heavy whipping cream. It turned out ok.

I heated the milk/cream to 185 on the stove (accidentally went closer to 190). It had a particularly thick layer of skin on top. When I stirred in the (Dannon Naturals Plain) yogurt culture after it had cooled, I stirred the skin in with it, hoping it would "go away". I put it in my yogurt maker for 24 hours. When it was finished, it was really firm on top, like tofu!

An aside here - my yogurt maker is the Salton kind that makes 5 7oz cups of yogurt. I'd lost the lids and 2 of the jars so I looked online for replacement jars and didn't find any. I found one site that said to look for small jelly jars. I had some 8 oz jelly jars and what do you know,they fit! And now each jar has a lid and makes a full cup (so much easier to measure for!)

So I made my typical smoothie - 1 banana, 3/4 cups mixed frozen berries, 1/2 cup orange juice and 3/4 cup yogurt (approximately). The cream blended in very nicely and made it very smooth and creamy! This is the most satisfying smoothie, and the closest to ice cream I've ever made. I imagine most kids would LOVE one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment